Monday, November 17, 2008

Mediacorp... bringing you mauled English!

They are bringing you some football team's attempt to secure a 'historical' third league victory... live!

Dot. Dot. Dot.

What happened to good old copywriting? Or is that not necessary in television nowadays? Recap: Historical means a past event. Historic means an event of import. Get it right! Cute little kittens are dropping like flies here people!

And did people know that there's apparently a new actor in town? 'Gurmit and Fiona goes' somewhere to bring us some fantastic food report. Grammar 101: 'Goes' refers to a single person. When you want to refer to a group of individuals, you say 'go'.

My goodness, maybe I should give up this whole legal shtick and be a script writer in Singapore. I'd either make a fortune from fixing all these silly errors or starving because English, apparently, need not be spoken well on Singapore television.

I cannot wait til I get my set-top box. It will be welcome to not have to deal with CNA and Channel 5 to get my fix of video news! I will be retreating to the safe, happy zone of BBC News. And sometimes even American programming... where the English is at least accurate, if spoken strangely.

No comments:

Post a Comment